- APA President Maria A. Oquendo, M.D. authored a blog post on why adhering to the so-called “Goldwater Rule” is so important, particularly this election season. The post drew major interest from national news outlets such as the Washington Post. You can read Dr. Oquendo’s Goldwater Rule post here.
- APA President-Elect Anita Everett, M.D. was named Chief Medical Officer at the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). Dr. Everett’s office at SAMSHA will provide input into strategic initiatives, policy directions and legislative issues, ensuring that ensure effective, evidence-based approaches to behavioral health services are incorporated in SAMSHA programs. You can read more about Dr. Everett’s new role at SAMSHA here.
- Advance registration for IPS: The Mental Health Services Conference ends on September 15th. You can get more information on IPS and register for the meeting here.
Mark Your Calendar
- National Recovery Month
- National Traumatic Brain Injury Awarness Month
- Suicide Prevention Week (August 5-11)
- World Alzheimer’s Month
September Members’ Course of the Month: Advances in Therapeutic Interventions in Geriatric Psychiatry
Each month, members receive free access to a CME course on a trending topic. Most take less than 30 minutes to complete, perfect for over lunch. The September course is Advances in Therapeutic Interventions in Geriatric Psychiatry: Neuromodulation in the Treatment of Geriatric Psychiatric Disorders. Take the course today and view the upcoming Members’ Course schedule.
Psychopharmacology Designed with You in Mind
APA is offering two courses for M.D.s, D.O.s, N.P.s, R.N.s and others looking for updates about best practices in treating patients with psychiatric diagnoses in multiple settings, including primary care. As a special offering, these two courses are being offered a la carte (full meeting registration not required). The courses are: Essential Psychopharmacology ($440) and Child Psychopharmacology for the Adult Psychiatrist ($235). Space is limited, so register today at psychiatry.org/ips.
New 100% Club Benefits for Residents and their Program Directors
Becoming a member of the 2016-2017 100% Club comes with exciting new benefits, including more day-to-day value for residents and their program directors. Programs with at least 80% of their residents as members are eligible for 100% Club benefits. To find out where your program stands, contact Claire VanWagner at email@example.com.
IPS to Feature Collaborative Care Simulation Lab
Interested in collaborative care? This year’s IPS meeting is a can’t miss opportunity to immerse yourself in the care model. The Collaborative Care Simulation Lab will allow participants to gain an in-depth understanding of collaborative care systems by acting as case manager for fictional patients. The simulation will guide you through the differences in psychiatric practices with new models of integration through large group discussions and small group collaborations. IPS: The Mental Health Services Conference will be held October 6-9 in Washington, D.C. Register Today.