- APA applauded the House of Representatives for passing the Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act, aka H.R. 2646. In light of the overwhelming support that H.R. 2646 received in the House vote, APA and 29 allied organizations sent a letter urging Senate leadership to take up the bill and pass it before the end of the year. You can read about the specific provisions of H.R. 2646 and the full text of the letter sent to Sens. Mitch McConnell and Harry Reid here.
- APA applauded the Senate’s overwhelming vote in favor of the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery act. The bill, which includes a range of measures to address the growing addiction problem, received broad bipartisan support in the Senate and is expected to be signed into law by President Obama. You can read about the specific provisions of the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act here.
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced plans to begin coverage and reimbursement for "Psychiatric Collaborative Care Management Services" as part of its proposed Medicare Physician Fee Schedule rule starting in 2017. APA President Maria A. Oquendo, M.D. wrote a blog applauding this news as a "huge win for psychiatry and collaborative care." APA plans to continue to offer comments to CMS until the new rule comes into effect in 2017. You can read Dr. Oquendo’s blog about the CMS announcement here.
- In light of the wave of gun violence that has recently taken place across the nation, APA President Maria A. Oquendo, M.D. released a statement expressing sympathy and support for the victims of such events, while also highlighting resources for coping with such tragedies that are available for psychiatrists, patients and their families. Those resources can be accessed here.
- National Health Center Week (August 7-13)
The Fellow of the APA (FAPA) designation is a way for you to signify your dedication to the profession and be recognized by your colleagues. APA General Members who are in good standing and board certified are invited to apply by September 1, 2016. Apply Today
Applying the Integrated Care Approach
Collaborative care has emerged as the strongest evidence-based approach to providing effective mental health care in primary care settings. Take the online trainings to learn how you can incorporate this model into your practice, free through September 2019, or see if a live training is coming to a site near you. Learn More
Help with Student Loan Refinancing
Credible’s multi-lender marketplace allows borrowers to receive competitive loan offers from multiple vetted lenders. As an APA member, receive a $150 Visa Gift Card when you refinance with Credible. Learn More