- APA President Maria A. Oquendo, M.D. authored a post responding to the recent unrest in some U.S. cities related to gun violence. The post highlights resources for physicians, patients and their families that can be useful to address the trauma caused by these events. You can view the post and access those resources here.
- APA offered comments to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) on their Medicare Physician Fee Schedule proposed rule for 2017. The APA strongly commended CMS for many of the proposed changes, and offered suggestions to make them even better for psychiatrists and their patients. You can view APA’s specific comments to CMS here.
- The APA Assembly will meet at the Omni Shoreham in Washington, D.C. from Nov. 4-6. You can read more about the Assembly and find meeting dates here.
Mark Your Calendar
- ADHD Awareness Month
- Mental Illness Awareness Week (Oct. 3-7)
- National Depression Screening Day (Oct. 6)
- World Mental Health Day (Oct. 10)
- Red Ribbon Week (Drug Free America Oct. 23-31)
- IPS: The Mental Health Services Conference (Oct. 6-8)
Changes to DSM-5 to Take Effect on Oct. 1
Important changes to the DSM will take effect on Oct. 1. These changes are designed to bring ICD-10 codes in line with updated diagnoses in the DSM-5. As of Oct. 1, some ICD-10 codes relating to disorders in the DSM will no longer be valid. For a complete list of the disorders affected by this change, and the new codes associated with them, please visit the Psychiatric News story on the changes here.
October Members’ Course of the Month: Childhood Precursors of Borderline Personality Disorder
Each month, members receive free access to a CME course on a trending topic. Most take less than 30 minutes to complete, perfect for over lunch. The October course is Childhood Precursors of Borderline Personality Disorder: Why are Childhood Precursors Important? Take the course today and view the upcoming Members’ Course schedule.
100% Club Deadline is Oct. 31!
APA 100% Club is in full force and the Oct. 31 deadline is just around the corner! The APA 100% Club promotes a collaborative community of training programs throughout the U.S. and Canada. This year’s enhanced 100% Club benefits provide more day-to-day value; check out the new 2016-2017 benefits. Residents may complete the membership application and pay their dues online. Or, interested in Institutional Billing for your residents? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. The first year of APA national dues is free!